Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MY 2014 Navigation Maps version?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your list anything like this?
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...3-Combined.pdf
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Hopefully this issue is alleviated with the Audi Connect and being connected to Google... In Miami we are under construction of the major highways there are new exits and new traffic patterns. Google maps on my phone has been updated with the latest changes..

Will these new updates show with the Google overlay of Maps?
We have a Google Earth overlay, but the nav maps are the same as pre-facelift. So when Google updates their system, you'll be able to see the roads but navigation won't route you that way (because it doesn't know about them).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Hopefully this issue is alleviated with the Audi Connect and being connected to Google... In Miami we are under construction of the major highways there are new exits and new traffic patterns. Google maps on my phone has been updated with the latest changes..

Will these new updates show with the Google overlay of Maps?
The Audi Connect Google Earth feature is not a map. It's a photo overlay that's placed over the car's NavTeq maps on the hard drive. Google Earth might show images of newer streets not in the NavTeq map database but a specific address on one of those streets won't be able to be found or navigated to with the car's nav system. Nor, of course will the routing use the new streets or interstates.

With the Audi Connect Google "Online Destinations", the nav will show and direct you to a POI location on a new street not yet on the NavTeq map but it will not be able to ID the street in the routing. I seem to recall as you navigate onto a destination street not in the NavTeq database, it will just treat it as an "off road" routing and destination at that point, much like when you are navigating into a destination located in a large shopping center parking lot. Again, any new roads not in the internal database will be ignored for routing.

Google Online Destinations have essentially the same POIs as Google Maps and are updated dynamically online. The only way, though, to update the car's underlying NavTeq maps with new streets and addresses (and the internal POIs) is via a DVD sold by Audi dealers. They usually will require they install it which, apparently, takes a few hours to perform so it's not inexpensive. Not sure how often the map DVDs are updated.

Unless they add a bunch of new interstates in my area, I'll manage with Google Online Destinations POIs for a few years before I spend the big bucks for a map update since 99.9% of the time I'm not searching for a specific address on a new street and I use the Online Destination POIs pretty exclusively (The internal nav POIs are much more limited). Besides, the NavTeq map updates are typically a year or two out of date when released in any case.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So keeping things current one will incur two charges. One to keep the T Mobile/Audi Connect service and then the charge for map updates. No wonder people opt just to use their phones. Lexus is the same with their subscription based eDestination and the need to update maps (usually $200-$300 for the update). I'm sure other brands are similar.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 08-22-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default FWIW, when it was physical DVD's on...

the gen 2 MMI (D3 A8, C6 A6, many years of Q7, etc.) it was simple. Each model year, a new DVD was released. The version number was the model year. Thus, a v8 disk (like my A8 currently has due to a warranty related tweak), was issued for model year 2008. It originally came with a v6 disk, and of course is a 2006 vehicle.

Said another way, the traditional practice was to update them annually, and with the model year, not the calendar year. The data supplier was Navteq, same as now and with the Q5. I understand Audi has taken back over DVD distribution; Navteq had it for some years.

It was always "black box" as to what the exact updates were. and Navtek and Audi would typically only publish vague references like "updated POI's" or "expanded coverage in _____ areas." The D3's board sentiment was (and is) not much changed one year to the next, that maybe once in a while a new freeway onramp layout or some such would get tweaked, but nothing dramatic. Most just let it go and maybe some sprang for an update every 3 or 4 years, while others bought the used (hopefully genuine) DVD's from eBay that were somewhat older, but still newer than what they had installed.

I understand the Q5 system is now flash based, the dealer has to do it, and it's pricier; Audi's DVD's were somewhat less than Toyota's for example (which I also updated at one point).

For OP, a decent guess from the gen 2 MMI experience and known Audi approach there is a 2014 has the same (and new) 2014 update as any other MY 2014 will, but it will be almost impossible to get any real info on exactly what those updates really are.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default This is my understanding too...

Pricier than the old DVD gen 2 MMI approach, and more attempts to sell it as an ongoing "service" with periodic "revenue streams." Don't like it, but I expect that's what their business model is now.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
So keeping things current one will incur two charges. One to keep the T Mobile/Audi Connect service and then the charge for map updates. ..
Yup. I remember a time when the only monthly tech charge I had was for my home telephone. Now I have data plans for my iPhone, iPads, Audi Connect, Sirius radio, cable TV/internet, TiVos and I'm even contemplating Mog or Spotify. Ouch.
Technology is supposed to make life better and while, arguably, it can, it don't come cheap.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll use the Q5 for road trips, vacations etc. so the convenience is worth the cost for us. It's nice to be able to send destinations and POI's from Google Maps to the car when planning a trip or in route and have everything right there in the MMI.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Was there an update to the North American Nav map data for 2014?

Can someone with a MY14 w/Nav please post their details?
Here are the software and navigation database versions on my 2014 SQ5:

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  37.4 KB
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
In this case, though, Audi almost never updates maps for some unknown reason. You'll get whatever version they're putting on in the factory, and have to assume you'll never see anything newer. (As a corollary, you have to assume the maps being put on won't be very recent).

Hopefully they've got a better system in the works since never updating when everyone else has yearly updates from the same source provider is insane.
If this is true then very disappointing! My maps were out of date the day I picked up my '12 Q.

Quick Reply: MY 2014 Navigation Maps version?