Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport

Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Who cares if Edge haves 320 HP when it is based on front wheel drive and rear comes along when rotation difference is detected.

It does not use Haldex so it does not have clamping capabilities to convey true 50/50 power distribution nor have structural design to make rear biased power like 40/60 and so on.
The model I am looking at is AWD. What is Haldex?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now if we can only bring the two together . . . (sync and Audi) then we would be in heaven
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

the tech in both cars is about 2000 dollars worth of stuff. sync wins. fine. sync is pretty sweet.

what about the other 40k? that's engineering and build quality. there audi is the clear winner. the q5 wins all the performance comps against much stiffer competition, x3, mdx, glk, etc. it would literally trounce the edge in any of those performance comparisons. handling, road feel, steering feel, turn in, acceleration, stopping distance, power band, etc etc etc. quattro is second to none in terms of all wheel drive -- audi's leather is better and thicker. the dash isn't plastic on the q5. etc etc etc.

buy the audi and put sync in it after market. or just learn to appreciate the mmi for what it is, an easy to use multimedia interface that doesn't get in the way of what a car is really about, driving.

i can turn a **** or click a button for ac. i don't need to speak it. same with the radio. i can select what i want to listen to. talking it wouldn't save me much. what i would want to speak, 3g mmi lets me.

so that's it.

oh yeah, the grill on the edge is hideous.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stan: Seems like you are enamored with all the gadgetry, and I am kind of a gadget-guy as well and looked at the Edge. It was on my short list, as was the new Explorer. I have a friend with a Lincoln MKX and they aren't crazy about the bluetooth in it. Cuts out and is difficult for others to hear their voices. Maybe the new stuff is better....and one must admit, Ford seems to have the text-to-voice issue covered. Having owned past Audi products I must say the Quattro system is unbeatable, and the 2.0TSFI coupled with the 8 speed transmission is a wonderful drivetrain. Ford is going to offer their Ecotec turbocharged 4 at a 1000.00 premium over the 3.5 liter V6. Huh?
The Edge Sport comes with their new 3.6 liter V6 and it is purported to be a good engine with decent mileage and it is a decent looking CUV. But I think the Audi is going to have much better driving dynamics than that Edge, and build quality is going to be better than the Edge. Audi will get the nod in the MPG category and probably in the resale area too.
The Edge Sport is targeted toward those that want a Mustang GT with 4 doors and the ability to haul cargo. If that's your pick, go for it and enjoy it!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The model I am looking at is AWD. What is Haldex?

Thanks.

The Edge AWD is front wheel drive based system and there is multiclutch coupler that will bring the rear wheels active when front / rear wheel rotation difference is detected and also usually it is locked during full throttle acceleration ( at least other brands does that, even VW)

Edge AWD is not mechanical AWD like Audi Q5 haves.

Edge AWD is like VW Tiguan, on dry sunny pavement it haves about 90/10 split for front / rear and it is front wheel drive based system, though VW uses Haldex as it is the best and most powerful multiclutch unit.

Haldex is Swedish multiclutch brand and so far it is only unit that is able to generate clamping power to make true 50/50 torque distribution and that is why it is most expensive system.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The residual value on the Q5 will also be much higher than the Edge. I had a Ford Contour years ago and it was a wonderful car. Excellent driving dynamics, a blast to drive, and much more reliable than the Nissan Sentra it replaced. When I traded it in in 2005, the dealer offered $500, and he was being generous! This for a fully loaded 1995 SE that was in excellent condition. That was enough to steer me away from American cars unless their resale values become more competitive.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Previous Ford Edge AWD Owner...

Stan-

I can sum up my Ford experience as one of the worst car ownership experiences I've ever had. I recently traded a mint condition 2007 AWD Ford Edge SEL+ in for an Audi Q5 Prestige.

For the Ford, I paid way less than it was worth when I started, and I still lost $2k when I traded it in. The brakes were horrid. If I didn't have my feet pressed as hard as I could I'd never come to a stop, and it ate through break pads, as well as tires, like it was its job. The interior in the 2007 version was all hard plastic that scratched easily, did not wear well, and was uncomfortable to live with. Ford's paint jobs are subpar at best. I can state this for two vehicles, the 2007 Edge, and a 2010 Milan Hybrid we just traded for an A4. On both of those Ford vehicles the paint scratched extremely easily, and was so thin in places you often saw bare metal through the scratch. The paint job on the Edge was so poor when I took ownership of the car they had to send the hood and front passenger fender back to the factory to be repainted. The 2010 Milan Hybrid had Sync in it, and it was "ok." We frequently had problems getting the phone to stay connected to it, and to have other features of it work correctly. Oftentimes, there were too many options that one needed to filter through to get to what they wanted. Keep in mind you'll be doing this in traffic, NOT the time to be so distracted!

I leave you with this, get the Audi, you won't be disappointed. It's a craps shoot with Ford if you'll be disappointed or not. I went from a VW Limited Edition Jetta to the Edge and never once felt like I didn't downgrade. Audi may not have the sync, but it's significantly better in every other way.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Drive both the Edge and Q5 and then you'll know.

FORD = Found On Road Dead
Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boltsfan
FORD = Found On Road Dead
Or, FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Or, FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
That's the FORD I know and love. I owned one and I swore it would be the last. Stupid thing was in the shop every other week. Ford was smart to put their money into developing techo bling. People start drooling at that and forget to look under the hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange question: Q5 VS. Ford Edge Sport