A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rattling noise from front tire pls help!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise from front tire pls help!

Hello again, it seems like everytime I fix something on this damn car something else happens, every month im doing something to this car but i am driving 200 plus miles a day.

I own a 1998 Audi A4 quattro, and about 3 weeks ago I hit this REALLY deep pot hole, it had to been about 5 inches deep if not more, I was going about 20mph, which it only hit the passenger side front tire maybe back idk?. Since that day i've noitced a kind of rattling noise comming from the front tire on passenger side. The rattling occurs when I go over bumps, and I only can hear this when I have the window down. Also when im going straight I hear this clicking noise from that same tire, it does it only when im going straight, if I turn it stops, if I push the brake it stops. These noises does not happen all the time, like today it did not do it once, but yesterday it was bad sounding, and if I let it sit for awhile then the noise happens more frequent. But like I said if I push the brakes it stops and if I do that enough it doesnt do it again that whole day. Its like I am having to let my car sit for awhile for it to do it again. I brought it to the Audi dealership near me and they took it for a ride and did not hear the noise when they test drove it. They looked at all my suspension parts on my car in the area of where the noise was comming from. They told me they did not find anything wrong with the car, but my inner tie rod ends were starting to wear. So today I got it replaced. Now the inner and outter tie rod ends are replaced on the passenger side, because it came as an assembled part, not just the inner. So when I drove outta there I did not hear it but after I let the car sit for about an hour. I started going slow and thats when I heard the clunk clunk noise comming from the same area. It happens when I go slow and mostly in the parking lots when going 25mph, if I speed up it doesnt do it anymore i would say about 45 and above you do not hear it im not sure if thats bc when u go that fast you cant hear it or it actully stops doing it. And the same thing happend I pushed the brake and it stopped. Also when going over bumps it still makes like a rattling kinda noise but pushing the brake makes it stop. It doesnt seem as bad but i'll see what happens when I goto work tomorrow.
They said there was nothing else wrong with my car after installing the tie rod ends which was today. Any input? I have replaced all my wheel berring so I know its not them, and now the tie rod end has been replaced. If you read my other threads you will know that my drive shaft has been replaced, and also some gaskets that have to do with the differentials, that was donw with drive shaft. IT will be greatly appriciated if someone could help me. Thank you!
My father seems to be convinced that it is the caliper slipping, or he said its some kinda part in the strut i dont remember what he called it. But wouldnt the dealer figure this out? I mean they had all my suspension apart today its so annoying. Ofcorse my dad hasnt been able to look at the car because im out of state but hopefully he can look at it this weekend when I go back home if im able to.
This is so annoying and it seems like it has to be something so simple because its not effecting the driving of my car.
Well thanks for reading this chapter hahaha
Thanks
casey
Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I think your dad is on the right track. Sounds like a caliper or brake pad issue.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I think your dad is on the right track. Sounds like a caliper or brake pad issue.
It seems like it almost has to be, I told the dealer that but they were like that could never make that noise and acted like I was stupid, gave me attitude like you should never tell us what it is. But they said they checked my brakes they were fine, but if they took the caliper apart i dont know. I am going to work in a few, 2hr trip to dc one way and when I get back ill post and tell ya guys if its loud or not. But if you can think of anything else let me know. I just do not want to break down, that would be horrible.
Thank you!
Casey
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Csycs04
Hello again, it seems like everytime I fix something on this damn car something else happens, every month im doing something to this car but i am driving 200 plus miles a day.

I own a 1998 Audi A4 quattro, and about 3 weeks ago I hit this REALLY deep pot hole, it had to been about 5 inches deep if not more, I was going about 20mph, which it only hit the passenger side front tire maybe back idk?. Since that day i've noitced a kind of rattling noise comming from the front tire on passenger side. The rattling occurs when I go over bumps, and I only can hear this when I have the window down. Also when im going straight I hear this clicking noise from that same tire, it does it only when im going straight, if I turn it stops, if I push the brake it stops. These noises does not happen all the time, like today it did not do it once, but yesterday it was bad sounding, and if I let it sit for awhile then the noise happens more frequent. But like I said if I push the brakes it stops and if I do that enough it doesnt do it again that whole day. Its like I am having to let my car sit for awhile for it to do it again. I brought it to the Audi dealership near me and they took it for a ride and did not hear the noise when they test drove it. They looked at all my suspension parts on my car in the area of where the noise was comming from. They told me they did not find anything wrong with the car, but my inner tie rod ends were starting to wear. So today I got it replaced. Now the inner and outter tie rod ends are replaced on the passenger side, because it came as an assembled part, not just the inner. So when I drove outta there I did not hear it but after I let the car sit for about an hour. I started going slow and thats when I heard the clunk clunk noise comming from the same area. It happens when I go slow and mostly in the parking lots when going 25mph, if I speed up it doesnt do it anymore i would say about 45 and above you do not hear it im not sure if thats bc when u go that fast you cant hear it or it actully stops doing it. And the same thing happend I pushed the brake and it stopped. Also when going over bumps it still makes like a rattling kinda noise but pushing the brake makes it stop. It doesnt seem as bad but i'll see what happens when I goto work tomorrow.
They said there was nothing else wrong with my car after installing the tie rod ends which was today. Any input? I have replaced all my wheel berring so I know its not them, and now the tie rod end has been replaced. If you read my other threads you will know that my drive shaft has been replaced, and also some gaskets that have to do with the differentials, that was donw with drive shaft. IT will be greatly appriciated if someone could help me. Thank you!
My father seems to be convinced that it is the caliper slipping, or he said its some kinda part in the strut i dont remember what he called it. But wouldnt the dealer figure this out? I mean they had all my suspension apart today its so annoying. Ofcorse my dad hasnt been able to look at the car because im out of state but hopefully he can look at it this weekend when I go back home if im able to.
This is so annoying and it seems like it has to be something so simple because its not effecting the driving of my car.
Well thanks for reading this chapter hahaha
Thanks
casey
WELL WITH 200 PLUS MILES A DAY, THE CAR NEED ALOT OF MAINTENANCE, TRY SOMETHING SIMPLE FIRST, SWITCH TIRES (FROM SAME SIDE) COULD BE THE WHEEL AND MAKE THE BEARING SOUND, CHECK THE STRUT MOUNT TOO PROBABLY IS WHAT YOU DAD SAID
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it a cyclic sound? I had a CV boot replaced and for whatever reason the allen head bolt on the end of the axle in the hub wasn't tight enough. When I would get to low speeds I would get a clicking sound that corresponded to the wheel speed. If I sped up a bit it would go away. I haven't had the problem since that bolt was retorqued.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edwardo
Is it a cyclic sound? I had a CV boot replaced and for whatever reason the allen head bolt on the end of the axle in the hub wasn't tight enough. When I would get to low speeds I would get a clicking sound that corresponded to the wheel speed. If I sped up a bit it would go away. I haven't had the problem since that bolt was retorqued.
Hey thanks for the replys, edwardo, that seems like it is what you said. That is exactly what happens I let the car coast down to about 30 and just dont push gas or brake and it starts clicking, I push the brake and it stops. Like I said I hear this noise like a rattling noise when going over bumps, big or small and only at like lower speeds, unless I cant hear it on the interstate. But when I go over a bump, I have pushed the brake before I hit the bump and it doesnt make that rattling noise while going over bump if gas is pressed. Very weird, and like I siad it doesnt do it everyday, today it wasnt bad only clicked a few times. And it only happens when going straight, never happens when I turn.
Anyways how do you tell if your axel in hub isnt tight enough. Where is this part even located at? What does it do? How can I phsycially check it without bringing it someplace? I cannot make it back to NY this weekend so that really sucks. And that dealer is just getting on my nerves. Seems like no one is trust worthy to work on a car, so if you live around DE or MD and own an audi and can work on them I would pay you. haha. Or if you know of a good shop that isnt completly stupid.
When I went to the shop before I replaced the tie rod end on that side I told them that I called a shop and they told me it could be the CV boot, b/c that makes a noise like that. But they said they checked the boot, it is fine, they did not take it apart they told me they said they could look at the rubber and tell if its 'broke' I dont know how true this is. They said they checked everything.
At first they told me it was a piece of my plastic hitting the rim of my car, the plastic guard. I thought that was true because the guard was messed up when i bought the vehicle, so I duck taped the crap outta it and that didnt stop it.
So im not sure. I just dont want to brake down.

In a couple weeks i was thinking about traveling to NY for my dad to look at it, as I live in DE, I wanted to go today but work is stupid. So if you can think of anything I can do myself it'd be great.

Do you think its the shocks? I have noticed when going over bumps this started happening recently that I hear like air pushing out, like its the shocks or struts obviously, which ever is in the front end i dont know which. But I tried to move the car by pushing down on it and checking for bounce it is pretty solid. I dont know what to do.
And im sorry for making this SOOO long of a post.
Thanks alot for your time and I hope someone can help me out. Like I said I would pay you, if you lived near MD or DE if you actully know what ur doing and you own an Audi. Thanks alot.
casey
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2cpaps
WELL WITH 200 PLUS MILES A DAY, THE CAR NEED ALOT OF MAINTENANCE, TRY SOMETHING SIMPLE FIRST, SWITCH TIRES (FROM SAME SIDE) COULD BE THE WHEEL AND MAKE THE BEARING SOUND, CHECK THE STRUT MOUNT TOO PROBABLY IS WHAT YOU DAD SAID
Hey, I just replaced both front tires last month, before the tie rod end and before I hit that pot hole. I dont know if that would do it or not. When I got my tires done the friggin idiots did not balance my tire correctly and I drove on that unbalanced tire for about 500 miles give or take, before I got sick of the shaking and brought it back to them. But like I said this clunking did not start happening until i hit that pot hole.
thanks
Casey
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Mr Mc Feely

Take the CAPS lock off please.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the same problem that I had, but I thought I'd offer my advice. Check the spring clip on the caliper - mine was loose when I bought the car and it rattled the front left tire when i hit any sort of bumps - it was worst on cobblestone roads and potholes. If it's still a problem on cleanly paved roads, this may be a different issue. I'm not sure why it doesn't rattle while turning.

You should be able to examine the clip through your wheels/rims. Compare with the other side and see if it's loose. Mine was pretty tight/stiff but I went ahead and replaced it anyway (cheap part) and it fixed the problem. You may not need to replace it, rather just put it back in the hole and it may work. Mine was bent a little and I didn't want to hassle with bending it back in shape.

Here's a pic of the spring clip:
http://www.johnvey.com/features/a4brakes/

Here's the part I ordered for my 2001 A4 B5:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...g_Clip/ES2340/
Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey thanks for the reply, um i am going to Ny today so im gonna have my dad look at it tomorrow, if weather is good. But that is what he thought it was , the clip on the brake. But im gonna have him check it out. thanks alot
Ill keep you updated.
Casey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling noise from front tire pls help!