Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Strange sudden loud thump sound

Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Strange sudden loud thump sound

I have a very strange situation with my 2103 A6 and am hoping someone can shed light on it. Twice while traveling the NYS Thruway at night there was a sudden loud noise like a thump and the car shook a bit like it had been hit by something. The first time the Sirius radio that I was listening to prior to the noise stopped working and it would not come back on again (even after several tries at shutting it off and on) until after I had stopped, turned the engine off and left the car for 15 minutes or so to go into the rest facility. On the remainder of that trip the Sirius palyed quite normally after it did start working and there have been no cut-offs since.
The other time on the Thruway (almost the same spot) there was suddenly the loud slap/thump and shake as if something had fallen from the heavens onto the rear trunk lid or the roof. It is worth noting this was a totally open area: both times no other vehicle near me, no overhanging trees, no bridge over the roadway. Both times I inspected the car after stopping at the next (luckily nearby) rest area and there was no sign of anything.
After a lot of thinking I thought it might be the Sirius radio suddenly coming in with a sudden brief jolt of loud heavy base.
Yesterday I was driving into the lower parking level of my local Costco store and suddenly “bam” – the same thing happened again. This really freaked me out and I stood on the brakes, got out and looked around to see if any evil perps were nearby and inspected the vehicle. Later when I drove to the upper level in the sunlight I got out and looked again, but there were absolutely no dents, scratches, scrapes or other signs that anything had hit the car.
My question: is it possible that some screw-up or sudden signal in the Sirius system could cause the subwoofer to belt out something that sounds like the thud of a 25 pound sack of potatoes landing on the roof and that would produce the vibration or shake I felt? I am very confused by this. The fact that it happened to me twice in like 4 months at just about the same place on the highway made me think satellite location issues and/or solar flares. But going down to the lower level of a Costco parking garage? I am very confused. The sound makes me jump – it is unnerving. Any other ideas (other than Sirius) of what it could be?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a tough time thinking the sub in the A6 would make the car shudder, but maybe something electrical that causes the car to have some sort of power dip/surge effecting all the electronics in the car related to maybe an audio system.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe we have the same issue. Please see below if the description is similar.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=Static+sound
Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we are talking about 2103 A6, I suspect the loud noise was breaking the sound speed barried (mach 1)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I believe we have the same issue. Please see below if the description is similar.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=Static+sound
This sounds (pardon the pun) exactly like what I have been experiencing. I had searched AW before my original post but I didn’t use the correct search terms, so none of this showed up.
What happened for you fEArmE, did you get the dealer to look at and hopefully fix the problem? My car is well under warranty, is not even a year old, but I never mentioned it to the dealer for fear I'd look like a raving idiot (well, more so than usual). Anyone else chime in as well if you had this issue.
I feel somewhat connected to the posters who experienced the same shock and almost terror, feeling like you've just been hit by something. In the Costco parking lot they are re-paving the upper lot and my initial reaction after dismissing the idea of someone tossing something at me is that a part of the upper deck had come down on me. There have been instances there where bits of concrete did come down on cars. My neighbor had this happen, so I was open to the possibility.
Hopefully fEArmE (is that "fear me"?) you can report a successful resolution that I can try to replicate.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Since we are talking about 2103 A6, I suspect the loud noise was breaking the sound speed barried (mach 1)
Not likley; I have the 2.0 - lol!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
This sounds (pardon the pun) exactly like what I have been experiencing. I had searched AW before my original post but I didn’t use the correct search terms, so none of this showed up.
What happened for you fEArmE, did you get the dealer to look at and hopefully fix the problem? My car is well under warranty, is not even a year old, but I never mentioned it to the dealer for fear I'd look like a raving idiot (well, more so than usual). Anyone else chime in as well if you had this issue.
I feel somewhat connected to the posters who experienced the same shock and almost terror, feeling like you've just been hit by something. In the Costco parking lot they are re-paving the upper lot and my initial reaction after dismissing the idea of someone tossing something at me is that a part of the upper deck had come down on me. There have been instances there where bits of concrete did come down on cars. My neighbor had this happen, so I was open to the possibility.
Hopefully fEArmE (is that "fear me"?) you can report a successful resolution that I can try to replicate.
Irene's bob, unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to find a resolution. Initially, i thought it was the LED bulb i put in the trunk. But it seems like it is not the case. This may have something to do with MMI because music from SDCARD stopped playing when it happened. I have just contacted my service advisor regarding the issue. I'll report back.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Irene's bob, unfortunately, i have not gotten a chance to find a resolution. Initially, i thought it was the LED bulb i put in the trunk. But it seems like it is not the case. This may have something to do with MMI because music from SDCARD stopped playing when it happened. I have just contacted my service advisor regarding the issue. I'll report back.
If it helps, I have zero mods/adds of any type on my car. Also, I have never used an SD card for music, I don't even know where the slot is; it has happened all three times with Sirius on (80's on 8 if that matters - lol).
Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
If it helps, I have zero mods/adds of any type on my car. Also, I have never used an SD card for music, I don't even know where the slot is; it has happened all three times with Sirius on (80's on 8 if that matters - lol).
80's on 8 is defintely your root cause there lol!!! J/k. Btw, do you have base non bose audio system?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

80's on 8 is defintely your root cause there lol!!! J/k. Btw, do you have base non bose audio system?
I have the non-Bose base radio in a Premium Plus trim level

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange sudden loud thump sound