Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TFSI vs TDI Engines

Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TFSI vs TDI Engines

2014 A6 3.0 TFSI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI

What will have better resale value in 2016?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
2014 A6 3.0 TFSI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI

The TDI will most likely have the higher resale price in 2016.

It will also cost you more in 2014 and it will have a lower cost to operate. Most people who buy the TDI expect to keep them for a long time and/or use them for many miles.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

2014 A6 3.0 TFSI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI

Without a crystal ball, have to wait until 2016 to know for sure.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

2014 A6 3.0 TFSI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI

It's only natural that the diesel retains more value. Just compare the 2008 Mercedes E-class gas vs diesel (E350 v E320).

Or... look at the Q7 S-line vs TDI Prestige

Look at the A3 too.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Compare-Cars
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So without looking are those opinions based on raw value or percentage of purchase since the TDI cost more to start?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience, TDIs tend to hold their value better JMHO. I owned a 2011 Mercedes GL350 that I sold to a Canadian and actually made money off of the deal.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by keithl
So without looking are those opinions based on raw value or percentage of purchase since the TDI cost more to start?
NADA explains the price as:
"The average used retail is the average price that this car, in excellent condition, has sold for at dealerships. This price may vary based on installed options, mileage and the cars overall condition."

Or, http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2010-Audi-Q7-Price-c21917, select "refine price" and notice the TDI does command more.

KBB also has the same results, but their site is a PITA.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would like to see better information about this.

I like diesels; have owned one in the past; was a good experience.

But:
- the cost of diesel fuel in both the Midwest & pacific northwest has been so high as to virtually negate any advantages of fuel economy.
- diesels (in the past) needed more frequent oil changes & had a greater number and higher priced filters that needed changing -- making routine maintenance higher than a gasoline engine
- the depreciation rate seemed little better than gasoline cars (yes, the resale was higher, but the percent depreciation seemed about the same)
- one might also suspect that the general expertise of U.S. mechanics favors gasoline engines (one would assume that Audi dealerships have had adequate training; don't know if it's just a few mechanics that have been trained on the TDI's or essentially, all of them).

I'm waiting to see if, over time, our fuel production and/or taxes aren't modified to favor diesel fuel (as they are in Europe--which drives much of the diesel enthusiasm there).

For now, while I might get a diesel just because I wanted one, the numbers are not that compelling. I'd say buy what you want -- but don't expect to necessarily make money by having paid more for a diesel.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Even the Diamond DA-42 uses Mercedes A-class diesel engines and it burns 12gph... for a twin engine, that's incredible. And Jet-A is cheaper than 100LL. We all know that diesel tax is higher because, well, it just is. There's "talk" about raising the gasoline tax because the last increase was in 1994 or something like that. I'm all for a gas tax raise if they don't increase diesel tax. That will only make diesels more valuable. But it's best not to speculate.

The only things to hold back someone from a diesel would be:
City driving - anything better than 35mph highway is worth buying, but if you're stuck in the city, just swallow your pride and get a hybrid.
Ice cold climate - winterized diesel is fine, but cold mornings and long engine warm-up times may not be your thing.
Lease junkie - you're not going to put on enough miles to see a benefit.

Waiting for an act of congress to increase/decrease fuel tax is way too political for me, but if you have the time to wait it out, then so be it.

While the TFSI supercharged V6 is a mighty fine engine, I would prefer the TDI for long-term (8+ years or +100k miles).

Unless you're going to keep a diesel past 120k miles, what's the need for a mechanic?

Just avoid prepaid maintenance, especially on the MB E250. Audi Care is roughly $900 but Mercedes dealers are actually charging $3500 for prepaid oil changes!!!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212...-5-yr-50k.html

Originally Posted by James517
I would like to see better information about this.

I like diesels; have owned one in the past; was a good experience.

But:
- the cost of diesel fuel in both the Midwest & pacific northwest has been so high as to virtually negate any advantages of fuel economy.
- diesels (in the past) needed more frequent oil changes & had a greater number and higher priced filters that needed changing -- making routine maintenance higher than a gasoline engine
- the depreciation rate seemed little better than gasoline cars (yes, the resale was higher, but the percent depreciation seemed about the same)
- one might also suspect that the general expertise of U.S. mechanics favors gasoline engines (one would assume that Audi dealerships have had adequate training; don't know if it's just a few mechanics that have been trained on the TDI's or essentially, all of them).

I'm waiting to see if, over time, our fuel production and/or taxes aren't modified to favor diesel fuel (as they are in Europe--which drives much of the diesel enthusiasm there).

For now, while I might get a diesel just because I wanted one, the numbers are not that compelling. I'd say buy what you want -- but don't expect to necessarily make money by having paid more for a diesel.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2014 A6 3.0 TFSI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI

Check with Audi Financial Services for a lease quote. Ask what the residual is for a 3 year lease.

This will give you a good idea on what the financial people are projecting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TFSI vs TDI Engines