Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

LarryV, you need to chip that other Audi of yours :o)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LarryV, you need to chip that other Audi of yours :o)

HOLY $#@%!

I mean I'm sure the reported 560hp/516tq is fine and all , but...

www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_rs6rs7.html

93oct:

100oct:

I like the gauge overlay:

Last edited by Mark P; 12-17-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

god damn. I need to wear a diaper if I drove a tuned RS7
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a good thing they didn't waste their time releasing the software.... because I was just thinking the other day how slow the RS7 is in stock tune and how much it really needed MOAR power and torque. JK

The numbers are insane, but honestly, I haven't even gone through break-in yet (short 5 mile daily commute to work doesn't help) let alone truly exploited the car's potential at full throttle on a regular basis, and I already feel overwhelmed by how quick it is for such a big car, in stock tune. I often inadvertently find myself in triple digits before I reach the end of of most highway on-ramps. This car is asking for trouble. A ECU tune would just about guarantee it!

So maybe I'll hold off at least until I put a few more miles on her. We're driving it to NY and MA for the holidays, so that should at least finish break-in on the way there. By then I'll be able to experience and decide for myself if it needs more power or not. yea yea... who doesn't need more power?!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by larryV
It's a good thing they didn't waste their time releasing the software.... because I was just thinking the other day how slow the RS7 is in stock tune and how much it really needed MOAR power and torque. JK

The numbers are insane, but honestly, I haven't even gone through break-in yet (short 5 mile daily commute to work doesn't help) let alone truly exploited the car's potential at full throttle on a regular basis, and I already feel overwhelmed by how quick it is for such a big car, in stock tune. I often inadvertently find myself in triple digits before I reach the end of of most highway on-ramps. This car is asking for trouble. A ECU tune would just about guarantee it!
Yeah, I hear you. I feel the same way about my 996TT and it has a measly ~450HP/450TQ That was one of the reasons I searched out an X50-pkg car (K24 turbos), so that I would likely be content in stock [power] form where as I'd likely have to chip a stock/K16 car
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I was driving test RS7 and believe me it was a rocket on wheeled

LarryV, did you try launch control on the RS7
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I was driving test RS7 and believe me it was a rocket on wheeled

LarryV, did you try launch control on the RS7
There is no launch control on the RS7 because it's a torque-converter automatic.

However, you can brake-torque it to around 2k rpm (ECU-limited) and release the brake for a home-made launch control to get best results... which is the technique most of the magazines are doing to get the numbers they're getting.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is no launch control on the RS7 because it's a torque-converter automatic.

However, you can brake-torque it to around 2k rpm (ECU-limited) and release the brake for a home-made launch control to get best results... which is the technique most of the magazines are doing to get the numbers they're getting.
Did you try to turn off ASR/ESP ?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I'm not sure what officially qualifies as "launch control" but I did think on the Q5 that doing what you described (also using "S" mode and ESP off) would put the ECU in a different configuration (quicker response/shifting/etc). It seems that the "around 2k rpm (ECU-limited) " would be the piece of all this that would correspond to "launch control", no?

Thus I'd think that this would apply to RS7 as well, but don't know for sure. But at this point I guess we're splitting hairs - it's the way to launch quicker
Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark P
I'm not sure what officially qualifies as "launch control" but I did think on the Q5 that doing what you described (also using "S" mode and ESP off) would put the ECU in a different configuration (quicker response/shifting/etc). It seems that the "around 2k rpm (ECU-limited) " would be the piece of all this that would correspond to "launch control", no?

Thus I'd think that this would apply to RS7 as well, but don't know for sure. But at this point I guess we're splitting hairs - it's the way to launch quicker
Launch control exists in all models and with different gearboxes, Q5, A4, A5, S5 A6, S6 RS4, RS6 is limited to 3k rpm

Name:  ScreenShot273_zpsd3cd66ba.jpg
Views: 13522
Size:  304.2 KB

Name:  ScreenShot274_zpsa1c0395a.jpg
Views: 14339
Size:  260.4 KB

Name:  ScreenShot273_zps5d746fa1.jpg
Views: 13846
Size:  268.0 KB

Last edited by spijun; 12-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, launch control exists even on the Q5? Does anyone want to try it?

Quick Reply: LarryV, you need to chip that other Audi of yours :o)