Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

German vs USA vs others wheels and tires. Autobahn spec?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German vs USA vs others wheels and tires. Autobahn spec?

I was told the Audi dealer wheels had to meet a tougher Autobahn strength and durability code, is this B.S.?
I need to buy wheels and tires for my due to have at the end of the week: 2014 Q5 s-line with 20inch wheels.
I will drive the Q5 on and off road at all different speeds and weather here in Va., WVa., Pa., Tenn...
I am thinking 18 inch wheels and a truck tire such as Pirelli ice and snow or Dunlop Dueler Hp sport AS, or Nokian wrg2, or Continental cross contact LX sport or BF long trail T/A Tour for most of the year. I think the 20 inch summer performance tires the SUV comes with will only be good on dry hot roads?
I am also concerned about side wall strength and safety-stopping, handling in emergency situations...
I try to buy made in the USA if quality and price are good.
Recommendations wisdom on wheel models and tires for the soon to arrive SUV would be appreciated.
I have read wheel offset may be a concern?
Thank you!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The OEM wheels are very strong and you hear few cases of them getting bent. Hartman is another good brand with few reports of bent rims.

Hurry to make your decisions as snow tires are running out of stock. Tire Rack has a great resource in their reviews to help you. Yes your 20" S-line tires will be worthless in temps below 40°.

Call Gary directly he has a wealth of knowledge
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
The OEM wheels are very strong and you hear few cases of them getting bent. Hartman is another good brand with few reports of bent rims.

Hurry to make your decisions as snow tires are running out of stock. Tire Rack has a great resource in their reviews to help you. Yes your 20" S-line tires will be worthless in temps below 40°.

Call Gary directly he has a wealth of knowledge
Thank you!