A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Future B7 Buyer

Old 01-01-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future B7 Buyer

Just a couple of questions.

First, I'm looking at my first Audi and I am falling for the 2008 2.0t quattros. I've read mixed info on the s-line package. Are the paddle shifters standard on all the 2008 2.0t quattros or was this an option or sometimes part of the s-line sport package? I now understand all the 2008s had the s-line body. Is there a post of all the a4 stock wheels for the B7?

Second question, coming from an BMW with M54 engine...which always (always) had some sort of minor items to maintain what am I to expect with a 60k mile a4 that I plan to enjoy for the next 100k miles. I know the cost of parts for Euro cars and I have an Indy shop if it's a PITA job, but I mean in terms of ability to work on. Space to work in, ease of part removal. Biggest problem with the bimmers was all the brittle cheap rubber and plastic when you take anything apart from hoses to connectors which always requires an extra trip for parts. How is this on the A7?

Third, Top 5 issues I should be looking, listening, or feeling for in this car? I've searched the forums and see lots of items, but its sometimes hard to tell if its a common issue or a random problem someone had. Like to hear it first hand. Thanks all!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2.0T, oil burning, carbon build up, low boost issues and camshaft/fuel pump will eat into each other and cause one hell of a repair bill. There not alot of vacuum hoses or rubber parts at all on the engine. Really if you get past some of their uh, teething problems they are kick ***, a V6 model would be a much more reliable car in my opinion. I LOVE the interior, looks amazing, feels amazing, really top in its class I think. Newer 2.0T cars have timing chain so maintenance is actually very low on that one.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I test drove one I was looking at today. Body and interior were in excellent condition, but some other issues that needed to be addressed/negotiated.

1. At idle the car sounded like a diesel, I've heard mixed messages that it is normal on the 2.0T but I don't have enough experience to say what is normal vs an odd sound. I think I need to test drive a few more. Driving the engine was smooth, but every time I came to a stop it was pretty rough. Vibes through the steering wheel.

2. Also noticed the belt tensioner pulley was bouncing which I assume means the alternator or other accessory pulleys need replacing.

3. I think the thermostat was stuck open because I started the car and even after 10 minutes running in idle the coolant temp was barely moved. It was fine once I got driving.

4. The brake sensor was on and looking at the pads only about 3/16" of pad left on all 4. Not sure about rotors as I didn't have any way to measure.

5. Very slight amount of oil around the cap, which I believe sounds like PCV valve based on what I've read?

Car only had 63k miles and just came off CPO at 50k so it seems to have all service and priced at $13.2k but I'm thinking I'm going to be racking up several thousand in cost from the start and may as well find one in better condition for slightly more and save myself the work. What do you guys think? Am I better off just spending $15k and getting one in better condition. Just requires me waiting around for another one in this mileage range for a 2008 (like the s-line look)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The rough idling may well be because the engine has not got up to temperature.
It certainly does seem that the thermostat needs replacing.
Other consequential problem is going to be carbon fouling of valves, ports etc because of the cold engine.
Not to mention the increase in fuel consumption.

The brake issue would need investigation. If someone can help with a diagnostic code reader, you may get more accurate info, for example, which wheel sensor was the signal originating from.
The wire to the sensor may be broken, or the sensor broken off.

If you can iron out the creases, fair and well. Otherwise, keep loooking for an alternate